Flattering swimwear 2016



Summers coming round quickly y'all and you know what that means....swimsuit season! Yeah I don't know why I sounded happy about that, I hate swimwear; it somehow manages to be extremely uncomfortable and unflattering at the same time....magic. I'm guessing some of you are feeling this way too (lets be real, everyone does) and although I'm a HUGE believer in wearing what you want and frankly not giving a damn about what other people think, comfort is important. I don't know about you but I feel comfortable and confident when I look my best: so here are what I'm loving swim-suit wise at the moment. I'm only going to put things on here that I would personally wear, and some pointers for the most flattering things to look for is you have an hourglass/pear figure like me.


One Pieces

You guys have no idea how happy I am that one-pieces are in again, seriously, no idea. In fact they've almost become more on-trend than bikinis for fashion girls and celebrities alike (and will no-doubt crop up a lot on instagram) and I couldn't be happier. I personally prefer to flaunt my curves than cover them up, so I would normally stick to block colours in my swimsuits, and I would steer away from things that cut you off anywhere as they shorten your torso and ruin the waistline.
ladder swimsuit
I know this probably wouldn't be the first choice in flattering swimsuits but the side cut outs really so help to define your waist, and the vertical stripes over to stomach suck you in more than a usual one piece.

Image 3 of ASOS PETITE Exclusive Scuba Peplum Swimsuit
peplum one piece
This will give you the TINIEST waist and the fun colour is a far cry from the usual frumpy swimsuit. Plus the underwire gives added support, yay!



Colour

Apart from fit, colour is the next most important thing to me. I am quite pale and certain colours such as black can really wash me out, and contrary to popular belief I think black highlights imperfections in my skin more, and that's not something I want to draw attention to.

Image 4 of ASOS PETITE Gathered Deep Plunge Swimsuit
Plunge one piece
Okay if you want a fail safe option- this colour flatters everyone! I love how it makes even my milky skin (ew) look vaguely sun-kissed.

Image 1 of ASOS Double Tie Side Bikini Bottom
frill bikini
I know again this is an odd choice but trust me on this, it works. The trick is to keep warm undertones, whether is blue-choose turquoise, or purple- go for one with pinky hues. That way it brings out the warmth in your skin. Another personal favourite is a warm brown leopard print, I have one I got from H&M and to this day it's still my favourite bikini- and I'll tell you why. Against pale skin warm brown is incredibly flattering and as soon as you get a slight tan it amplifies it, not to mention how fun leopard print is- just make sure its a larger print.

This shade of purple is very specific but I promise it will look AH-MAZING

Image 2 of River Island Lace Up Side Swimsuit
Lace up swimsuit
And finally khaki, you really can't go wrong. Such an on trend shade that just happens to be flattering too, what more could you want?




Modern art and unusual shapes

Although block colours may be best to flaunt curves, have some fun with and unusual art print. In many cases it can distract from other'problem areas' and at the ender of the day it's Summer, if you can't wear crazy colourful things now when can you? Not to mention they are very chic.
Image 1 of ASOS Mix and Match Tie Dye Print Halter Crop Bikini Top
Tie dye bikini


Image 1 of Free Society Marble Arch Plunge Cut Out Swimsuit
Marble swimsuit
Image 3 of Oh My Love Frill Bardot Bikini Top
ruffle bikini
Kill two trends with one swimsuit here- ruffles and bardot (okay one-shoulder), there is no better way to look like a certified fashion-girl than in this chic two piece.


Bikinis

Anyone who's be swimsuit shopping knows bikinis are a miefield and the problem with bikinis for curvy girls is they can either look really good or really bad. I'm here to demonstrate the former. Over the years I've narrowed down the perfect formula for a flattering two piece in every way possible. Must say I'm slightly reluctant to share but if it makes people feel more confident that's a great thing :
               Bralette or triangle top + Tie side briefs+ cheeky cut
And there you have it, an envy-worthy beach body every time!
Image 1 of Free Society Deco Dent Bralette Bikini Top
Bralette bikini
This is what I mean by a bralette top, it is joined in the middle but there's no under wire (like a sports bra). They are quite hard to come across but if you do, grab one and run! They are a godsend for big boobs because they give support and the right amount of cleavage, it creates a sporty line which is not only incredible flattering but very on trend.


Image 1 of Pull&Bear Tie Dye Triangle Bikini Top
tie dye top
A tie dye top is the next best thing, not what you'd expect for a larger chest but works all the same. I always used to go for a balconette style bra but it was never particularly flattering and if you change shape you can quickly grow out of it, and then there's no going back. A triangle top won't dig in (creating a smooth line) and again emphasises curves.
Image 1 of Oysho Tie Dye Splash Tie Side Bikini Bikini
bottoms

For some one with my kind of figure, the key to a flattering suit is all in the bottoms. I expect I'm not the only one to have that annoying dent between my hips and thighs, its natural but irritates me all the same. The great thing with tie sides is it masks that and doesn't cut in so there are ZERO love handles! They must be large ties like to one above to fully balance out your proportions. And what ever you do avoid a boyshort at all costs!!!

Image 2 of Blue Life The Wanderer Cheeky Bikini Bottom
cheeky bikini

My final nugget of wisdom would be to get a cheeky or Brazilian style bottoms, with ruching if possible. I know lots of girls are self concious about cellulite, me included but the extra coverage really doesn't do much except flatten your butt. And who want's that?

Okay so there you have it and I really hope you all have an amazing and stress free summer! Mwah XXX

Any tips? Please spread your wisdom below ;)

Comments

Popular Posts